Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

CHARLES LEDRAY: WORKWORKWORKWORKWORK


At The Whitney Museum 

NOVEMBER 18, 2010–FEBRUARY 13, 2011


I had the pleasure of attending the opening of the Charles Ledray exhibit last night entitled: WORKWORKWORKWORKWORK. I was given exclusive tickets to the event by a friend of a friend who is actually one of the youngest assistant curators in the states. I was so excited to meet her and see her  work on opening night. I was blown away by the artists work, the minatureality and the display. To me the exhibit was reminiscent of Working, by Studs Terkel, which has for a long time been one of my favorite pieces relating to the Early American experience post industrialization.


If you have time over the next few months I would highly recommend taking a peek at the exhibit and cozying up to Working! The images are credited to The Whitney Museum or my iphone. I want to thank Lindsay Malen and Christina DeSimone for the invite and such a wonderful evening!




Love This - It reminds me of my grandfather
Fred Metzger who was a catcher in the '40's!






Above Images Compliments of The Whitney Museum - The last three photographs document the original installation of Charles LeDray’sworkworkworkworkwork in the summer of 1991. For this installation, nearly six hundred precisely fashioned miniature objects created by the artist were layed out on a sidewalk in the center of New York’s Astor Place. Inspired by the itinerant street vendors that flooded the city’s streets during this era, LeDray created tiny versions of the kinds of secondhand items typically sold in these spontaneous sidewalk exchanges. The objects on display—clothing, housewares, jewelry, magazines, books, and artwork—each evoke a unique, personal backstory regarding their previous owners. The “work” in LeDray’s repetitious title can function as either a noun or verb, reflecting the vast amount of objects, the lengthy and laborious task of creating them, or the basic need to labor in order to survive.










My Favorites

Titled: Ring Finger


Titled: Long Story Short










Tiny Tighty Whities!
I don't understand the mounting but love the undies.





More...



So many mini pots but only took pics of the white ones


Funny Story: This is Komal. Lindsay and I kept getting yelled at by him for getting too close to the art and finally he said, "please no closer, they are just books - what are you looking at, you don't have to look so hard and so close, you could even make them yourself, you can make them for your home if you like them." We love you Komal!!!


Titled: The Pride Flag
I wish I remembered the title
Love the mini-mini replica suit hanging 
And of course my obsession with flip-flops

Whitney Museum of American Art
945 Madison Avenue at 75th Street
New York, NY 10021
Admission is pay-what-you-wish on Fridays, 6–9 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...