Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Helmut Newton //


I have always been fascinated by Helmut Newton's work. I was wandering around the other night with my husband and I found this locked behind bars as part of a window display for an interior design shop in the E. 50's.


I began to drool while eyeing the massive glossy bound 66 pound, 20”x28” collection of Newton’s work. Ever since that night I have been on a search to find my copy of this book but I wanted to find it more organically. I wanted to just happen upon it at some old dusty bookshop. I didn’t want to have to order it online, I wanted it to come to me. I wanted it to be romantic. So after weeks of scouring only to be told by many shops “oh yes we had that book a while ago, we sold out, but man that was one big book. Are you sure you want one that size? Do you know it comes with its own stand?” I of course said heck yes I want that size, a smaller collection of his work wouldn’t reflect the images to the same scale and magnitude and this book contains not only his nudes but his celebrity portraits, and fashion images.

At last I did resort to bringing my search to the web only to find that there is an abundance of SUMO size books online ranging from less than $200 all the way to the more expensive collectors editions. But shucks the one that I wanted was sold out, it was a $15,000 signed collectors edition at Taschen Books, the publisher of the enormously gorgeous photo-book. Come on now, $15,000 for a book? Now I can understand much more than that for an original framed piece as part of an art collection but a book, really? I will stick to my $200 book thank you very much. Take a look below at images from the collectors edition with the hefty price tag. The images were taken from Taschen Books. The last three images are my all time favorites. Enjoy!






image source: Taschen Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...